This Pumpkin and Sage Sausage Lasagna was created out of a random desire to eat something savoury, using whatever was leftover in the fridge and pantry. While not a conventional combination by any means, it does hit the spot if you’re looking for something with a smoky flavour that’s a little heavier (with your daily dose of beta carotene and iron to boot).
In lieu of a traditional béchamel sauce, the cream of chicken soup adds the thick texture required for the sauce. This is a perfect dish to make if you’re expecting friends over for the weekend, maybe during a viewing party of the latest American Horror Story episode.
Pumpkin and Sage Sausage Lasagna
Total Time: 90 minutes | Yield: 6-10 servings
Ingredients for the Base Sauce
- 600 grams of canned pure pumpkin or fresh pureed pumpkin
- 500 grams pasta sauce of your choice (I used Prego for this recipe)
- Olive oil
- 1/2 a can of cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup of garlic
- 1/2 cup of red onions
- 1/2 cup of spinach
- 1/2 cup of roasted red bell peppers, pureed
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Ingredients for the Chicken and Sage Sausage
- 1 kg of ground chicken
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup of red onions
- ¼ cup of garlic
- Olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 2 1/2 tbsps of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons of dried sage
- 2 tbsp of Grey Poupon mustard
- 1½ teaspoons of salt
- ½ teaspoon of Liquid Smoke (optional)
- 1 box of lasagna noodles
- 400 grams of mozarella, shredded
- 200 grams of smoked gouda, grated
- Combine thoroughly all the ingredients of the sausage together. Cook it in a pan using a little oil. Add spices and salt as you go along, according to your preference.
- Boil water and cook the lasagna sheets.
- Sauté the garlic and onions for the sauce in olive oil. Add the pureed pumpkin, spinach, and pureed bell peppers. Follow with the pasta sauce and cream of chicken soup.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper to taste. Incorporate the sausage into the sauce.
- Layer the lasagne using the pasta sheets, sauce, gouda, and mozzarella. Top with a generous amount of even more mozzarella.
- Serve and enjoy!