This quick and simple fried rice gets its flavor from salted egg (itlog na maalat). Feel free to adapt this recipe with whatever you have on hand—fried rice is excellent for using up leftovers. Replace the pork with your favorite protein (we recommend shrimp), or throw in any extra vegetables lurking in your fridge.
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 ½ tbsp minced green onions
- 1 ½ tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup ground pork or ground shrimp
- 3-4 salted eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup small diced carrots
- 2 ½ cups leftover white rice
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped Chinese chives or green onions
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- ¼ cup green peas
Cook meat: Heat oil in a wok or heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the green onions and garlic. Stir and cook for a minute, then add the ground pork or ground shrimp. Stir-fry everything until the meat is cooked through.
Add eggs: Add the salted eggs and carrots to the pan. Cook and stir until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Finish and serve: Season the rice with black pepper, then add chopped chives or green onions, corn kernels, and green peas. Cook and toss until the fried rice is heated through. Season with more pepper to taste if desired.